Feb. 26th, 2008

Robots!

Feb. 26th, 2008 12:53 am
polutrope: (work habits)
This here is my lab report it is about robots. I was sad when we saw our robot because it doesn’t look like a human and it is small and round and blue. When we had to make a circle it did not listen to me and I had to program it. This was not like the movies. In the movies robots look like people but they are made of metal. They can walk and talk and you do not have to tell them to do things. But our robot does not do anything on its own. And they are supposed to take over the world and it looks really cool with explosions and stuff but it just sat there and was blue. Also in the movies they can be your friends sometimes. So in conclusion I don’t like our robot very much because it is boring.







Should I be doing my actual lab report? Probably.
polutrope: (academia)
When I saw Eugene Onegin at the Met last year, the nice old lady with whom I was sharing a box said "What a bastard," in reference to Onegin. Well, he is, of course he is, it's 99% of the point of the opera (this is not exactly true; it's 99% of the novel, but only ~70% of the opera, the other 30% being "Tatiana is Noble and Incorruptible"). So, it wasn't her saying that that struck me, but rather the point at which she said it.


It was during "Vi mne pisali," which, thanks to my second semester Russian skills, I know means "You (formal) wrote to me," which Tanya, amid much melodrama, did. He tells her that he can't take advantage of her, and that he was not meant to be someone's husband, sitting with children on his knee, but if his fate had been different, he could have loved her. It's a bit patronizing, of course - but then, he is practically old enough to be her father. (I don't know if their ages are specified, but she can't be older than twenty, or maybe even eighteen, and I put him in his early thirties.) So, overall, not that bad, on the bastard front. Mantova or Don Giovanni would have taken advantage of her in a second.

And this is why he's, to some extent, worse than either of them to me. He waits until Tatiana has a husband and a reputation before she's interesting, worth pursuing. Both of the above womanizers are certainly despicable, but neither of them delights in ruining a woman more than her physical charms.



of course it doesn't stop me from having a crush on him.

Profile

polutrope: (Default)
polutrope

October 2017

S M T W T F S
1 2 3 45 6 7
89 10 1112 1314
1516 1718192021
22232425262728
293031    

Style Credit

Page generated Oct. 18th, 2017 02:36 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags

Most Popular Tags